Tuesday, February 5, 2013

It Must've Been Fun to Be Three

I have a three-year-old daughter. And I'm not totally sure she has any kind of legitimate grasp on reality. She inserts herself into every story. She's been a princess, a member of the Voltron Force, a Power Ranger, a mermaid, a ballerina and my sister/aunt/mother. She'll start with "remember when," and follow it with any random thing that pops in her head. "Remember when I was a ballerina and I danced Swan Lake and you were the bad guy who tried to stop me?"

Me: "Um, no?"

After a number of these conversations it occurred to me how fun it would be to be three. Reality is all relative and you're practically a time-traveler. It would be like living in your favorite book all the time, only it would be a total choose-your-own adventure.

Sadly, I can't go back. Instead, I listen to audiobooks and only half listen to her constant stories (hey, never claimed to be a perfect mom). And I've got a good one for you today.

Ultraviolet by RJ Anderson

Sixteen-year-old Alison has been sectioned in a mental institute for teens, having murdered the most perfect and popular girl at school. But the case is a mystery: no body has been found, and Alison's condition is proving difficult to diagnose. Alison herself can't explain what happened: one minute she was fighting with Tori -- the next she disintegrated. Into nothing. But that's impossible. Right?

Let me first say I probably wouldn't have finished this book had I been reading and not listening. Which would have been a mistake. This book was twisty and turny with a nice plot twist at the end. I don't want to give away any spoilers but I'm excited the second book is out because now I need to know what happens next.

No comments: