Friday, March 1, 2013

Books to Read: Ruby Red

Note: this was another one I listened to. Again with the four kids and the laundry and dishes and craziness. Ah, my life. So good. (no, it really is, just kind of chaotic and busy.)

I loved this book. Look, it's so pretty:


This was one of those random, pick-it-off-the-shelf at the library reads. But then I couldn't ever get through it because every time I tried to pick it back up someone new vomited. February was a good month around here. So instead I checked and magic, the library had it available as an audiobook.

And you know its good when you do EXTRA housework in order to keep listening. ME. Extra housework. I know.

From Goodreads:
Gwyneth Shepherd's sophisticated, beautiful cousin Charlotte has been prepared her entire life for traveling through time. But unexpectedly, it is Gwyneth, who in the middle of class takes a sudden spin to a different era!

Gwyneth must now unearth the mystery of why her mother would lie about her birth date to ward off suspicion about her ability, brush up on her history, and work with Gideon--the time traveler from a similarly gifted family that passes the gene through its male line, and whose presence becomes, in time, less insufferable and more essential. Together, Gwyneth and Gideon journey through time to discover who, in the 18th century and in contemporary London, they can trust.

 Gwyneth's voice was fresh and funny, without falling into that trap of too much voice. I believed her when she claimed she didn't want to be the time traveler. I was afraid with her when she randomly traveled to other times. And when Ruby Red was done I couldn't wait to read the next one. Which I will review with grown up thoughts and more details in a future post. Go! Read! Enjoy :)

No comments: