Friday, April 12, 2013

Books to Read: Wonder

You know how sometimes there are those survey question, where they ask if there was a book you've read which changed your outlook on life? I never know what to answer. Especially in terms of novels. I have read lots of books which challenged the way I thought, or opened my mind to new ideas. I remember being really affected by The Poisonwood Bible, for example.

But when I think about my everyday, my habits, I can't think of a book which has made a distinguishable impact. Until maybe now.


From Goodreads:


August (Auggie) Pullman was born with a facial deformity that prevented him from going to a mainstream school—until now. He's about to start 5th grade at Beecher Prep, and if you've ever been the new kid then you know how hard that can be. The thing is Auggie's just an ordinary kid, with an extraordinary face. But can he convince his new classmates that he's just like them, despite appearances? R. J. Palacio has written a spare, warm, uplifting story that will have readers laughing one minute and wiping away tears the next. With wonderfully realistic family interactions (flawed, but loving), lively school scenes, and short chapters, Wonder is accessible to readers of all levels.

Wow. There is a lot to love about this book. Is it perfect? Probably not. But Auggie's story, which is told not just from Auggie's point-of-view but also from others who are close to him, really struck a chord. And made me ask how I treat people. Do I shy away from people who are different? Am I just friendly enough? Do I not risk looking foolish myself to help and be a friend to others? And because I am asking those questions still, now, a week or a month later, I am going to give Wonder a perfect score.

No comments: