Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Books to Read

So, I've been reading. Okay, mostly I've been listening. And let's be honest, audiobooks are a little different from regular books. I mean, I'll stick with a book where the pacing is a little slow or the characters aren't quite as gripping if I am also doing the dishes or gardening or (gasp) doing laundry. So audiobooks have an edge there, I'll be honest.

 But then sometimes I don't want someone else's voice in my head while I read. I listened to part of Cassandra Clare's Infernal Devices books and I enjoyed reading it more, though the one I listened to, The Clockwork Prince, ended up being my favorite in the series. A series, by the way, you should read. Personally I liked the Infernal Devices much more than the Mortal Cup books.

 I've listened a lot lately, because four kids? Yes, that leads LOADS of time for cuddling up with a good book. And I also have a timeshare you might be interested in... Anyway, on to the recommendation.

 I really enjoyed Gail Carriger's  Etiquette and Espionage. From Goodreads: Fourteen-year-old Sophronia is a great trial to her poor mother. Sophronia is more interested in dismantling clocks and climbing trees than proper manners—and the family can only hope that company never sees her atrocious curtsy. Mrs. Temminick is desperate for her daughter to become a proper lady. So she enrolls Sophronia in Mademoiselle Geraldine's Finishing Academy for Young Ladies of Quality. But Sophronia soon realizes the school is not quite what her mother might have hoped. At Mademoiselle Geraldine's, young ladies learn to finish...everything. Certainly, they learn the fine arts of dance, dress, and etiquette, but they also learn to deal out death, diversion, and espionage—in the politest possible ways, of course. Sophronia and her friends are in for a rousing first year's education. Set in the same world as the Parasol Protectorate, this YA series debut is filled with all the saucy adventure and droll humor Gail Carriger's legions of fans have come to adore. I thought this was really cute. Sophronia is an excellent heroine. She's spunky and funny and relatable. Carriger has a well-nuanced world she built for the Parasol Protectorate series (which were also cute) and frankly its a world I really want to live in. Werewolves AND automatons? It took me a bit to get fully engaged but by the time this ended I was sad to see it go. I'm excited for the next book.

No comments: